Another great Kitchen Project Recipes from a German Grandma Recipe Request German OnlineShop
Join our free German Goodies Newsletter we share recipes and stories of our background
Listen to German Music
Do you want to learn to speak a little German?
Explore your German Heritage
This is Barb Rokitka's favorite style of doing potato pancakes. She recommends using a solid shortening like Crisco.
1. Grate Potatoes are grated on medium grater.
Grate raw potatoes into water to which lemon juice has been
2. Place potatoes in a strainer or cheese cloth and drain off
liquid. Drain well.
2. Grate onions into bowl of rinsed and drained potatoes
Grate cooked potatoes on medium grater.
Beat raw and cooked potatoes with egg, milk, and
salt to form a batter.
3. Using 3 T oil for each batch, drop batter for
3 or 4 pancakes at a time in hot oil in a large frypan. When firm on
the bottom side, loosen edges and turn. Brown on other side.
Add some butter to the oil if you like to give a nice buttery taste.
4. Remove, drain on paper towel, and keep warm. Continue until all
batter is used. Serve immediately. NOTE: If potato cakes are served
with meat, sprinkle with salt. Sprinkle with sugar if served with
German Side Dishes
For bratwurst and other dishes as well
Back to top
E-Mail The Webmaster email@example.com
© 1998- to present The Kitchen Project
Last updated June 27, 2010