I large pot of Soup, about 1 gallon
8 cups of water or beef or chicken stock
2 cups finely chopped beef or use hamburger even
4 strips of bacon thin sliced into thin strips
1 cup pearl barley
2 potatoes diced 1/4 inch
1 teaspoon caraway seeds (optional)
3 bay leaf
1/8 cup chopped garlic (about 5 cloves)
Suppengrün: (green soup vegetables)
1 cup chopped Leek or onion diced ( 2 Tablespoons dried onion flakes)
1 cup celery root diced ( or 2 stalks celery)
1 cup carrots diced (1 large or 2 small )
1-2 cups various other vegetables: peas, green beans, cabbage
1 cup tomato sauce, purree or another tomato product
1. Chop the Suppengrün or the soup vegetables
2. Chop the potatoes into 1/4 inch dice
3. Cut the bacon into thin strips
4. Gather the rest of the ingredients and have them ready.
5. Fry bacon in bottom of soup pot till fat is renedered. Add beef and cook till brown.
6. Add the vegetables and garlic. lightly saute to bring out flavor.
7. Add the stock and tomato sauce if desired and simmer for 2 -3 hours.
8. Check for seasoning with salt and pepper.
9. Add all the ingredients and simmer for 2 - 3 hours.
Serve in bowls with bread or a sandwich