German Chocolate Käsekuchen
1-10 inch Springform pan
Pre heat oven to 350 degrees F for the crust.
1. Place the Graham cracker crumbs, in a large mixing bowl, measure the pecans and coconut and melt the butter.
2. Mix all the ingredients add vanilla extract and Coconut liqueur if you want. Press into the springform pan and then bake for 10 min. on 350 degrees.
Pre Heat oven to 450 degrees F
1. While the crust is baking assemble your filling ingredients. Put the German's chocolate in a microwave safe glass bowl and measure the cream cheese in a large stainless mixing bowl. Break the eggs and whip. Measure the sour cream, and flour.
2. I softened the cream cheese by placing the stainless bowl over a pan of simmering water and whip often till very smooth.
3. Melt the chocolate in a microwave bowl per instructions on the package usually 1 minute on high. The chocolate doesn't need to be liquid just softened so it will blend.
4. Whip eggs separately.Add the sour cream, melted chocolate, sugar, eggs, flour and vanilla to the cream cheese and blend.
5. Put the Cheesecake in the greased springform pan. Lay on 2 long pieces of foil and wrap around the sides. This will keep water from the water bath seeping in.
6. Place the cake in a large pan with sides. A roasting pan works well.
7. Bake for 10 minutes at 450 F without opening the oven door. We want to develop a crust on top.
8. Turn down the oven to 225 degrees F and bake for 35-45 minutes.
The Topping or Frosting
1. While the cake is cooling make the frosting. Beat the egg yolks, toast the coconut in the oven, and chop the pecans.
2. Cook the egg yolks until they are thick (about 2 minutes)in the stainless pan over boiling water. Whisk in the cream and cook for another minute till hot and thickened.
3. Add the vanilla, Mix in the coconut and the pecans.
4. Put the frosting on the cake and top with 16 maraschino cherries.
5. Chill the cake for at least 6 hours overnight if you can. If you are in a rush you can chill the cake in the freezer for 1 hour.