2. Stir in citron, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, black pepper and salt.
3. Sift the flour and ammonium carbonate, (Bakers ammonia) an old fashioned leavening agent that helps them pop.
4. Add flour mixture to egg mixture and stir until well blended. The dough will be quite stiff.
5. Roll out to about 3 / 4 inch thickness. the thicker they are the better they puff. Cut with a small round cutter about 1 -1 / 4 inches in diameter. Turn cut out cookies over and place on cookie sheets or counter top to dry. Let dry 3 days. That is a long time, but it is necessary.
6. When ready to bake, turn them over so moist side is up. Dampen the top of each with a drop of brandy, wine or bourbon. This helps them puff during baking.
7. Bake in a 300 degree oven for 15-20 min. They won’t brown, just pop when done.