8 cups firm potatoes and cauliflower rough chopped
You can use equal amounts all of either or any combination
You are basically making layers 1st layer Beef
2nd layer potato cauli mix
3rd layer vegetable (Suppengrün)
4th layer Mushrooms
Top with potato cauli mix
Start with the longer cooking items:
1. Cook the beef cubes in a little vegetable oil, paprika, salt and pepper till nicely browned. Add 2 cups or water or beef stock and simmer till beef is tender.
2. Rough cut the cauliflower and potatoes and simmer them in salted water for 20 minutes or until tender.
While the long cooking items are simmering gather your Suppengrün ingredients and Mushrooms for chopping..
The celery root has a much richer celery flavor than the stalk. The Leeks are richer than regular onions. These vegetables will add real depth of flavor to this dish.
You should get about 1 cup of each of the vegetables.
3. Chop the carrots in small wheels or if the carrots are large into half wheels.
4. Peel and chop the celery root into small chunks. First cut it in half
then intowedges and then turn 90 degrees and chop to make nice chunks.
5. Cut the leek the long way and then into chunks. I use the white
and light green part. The rest I save for soup.
6.. Peel the celery and then cut it into half wheels, slice the mushrooms and chop the parsley fine.
If this is the first time your making it keep some of the items on seperate plates to keep things organized.
You can also chop,cook and then layer directly saving time.
7. While the potatoes and cauliflower are cooking saute the Suppengrün in a little olive oil till tender. Saute the mushrooms with garlic and put back on the plate.
8. The potatoes should take about 20 minutes to cook. Test by sticking a knife in a potato chunk. Add a little butter if desired and mash the potato with a hand masher, wire whisk or an Immersion blender like shown in the picture. Either way it is simple and You can do it right in the pan.
9. With all your ingredients ready to go let's assemble.
The first layer is the beef. Notice I have the braising liquid there as well. The potatoes will thicken this a little to make
a nice sauce.
Top the beef with half of the potato-cauli mix.
Next layer is the sauted vegetables.
Then top with the mushrooms.
Finally top with the other half of the potato-cauli mix.
Spoon on some melted butter and then I like to sprinkle some paprika on for color.
10. Bake uncovered for 35 - 45 min at 350 degrees uncovered
till nicely browned and bubbling on the sides. Let it sit for 10 -15 minutes
and the layers will stay better in tact. It reheats very well the next day.
Cut and lift out with a large spatula or flat turner. This will keep the layers in tact.
I serve this with tomato sauce or catsup.