The Meat Skewers
For the Sauce:
2.Brown the meat in a skillet with a little oil. You can do these in batches and reserve on a plate or a crockpot. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper while they are warm.
3.While the meat is browning gather your ingredients for the sauce.
4. When the skewers are brown you can then put them in a crockpot to finish simmering after the sauce is made, otherwise reserve them to a plate while making the sauce.
5. To start the sauce brown the bacon in the same skillet. Add onions and peppers and cook for 5 minutes or until they are tender. Then add a liitle broth to deglaze the pan. . Add the remainder of the chicken and beef broth, chopped pickle, pickle juice, mustard, paprika, cayenne, bay leaves, cloves, ketchup, salt and pepper. Cook on low until everything is well blended.
6. Add the meat skewers to the sauce. Meat should be covered with the sauce at all times. To accomplish that, I divided the meat and the sauce into two pots. Simmer over very low heat for 1 hour, with the lid on.
7. Cook uncovered for another hour. This will reduce the sauce and make it nice and thick. Remove the bay leaves and cloves.
8. Use an immersion blender, or food processor to blend the sauce smooth.
An alternative way is to simmer the skewers in a crockpot. Remove the skewers to blend the sauce, pour it back on.
Serve 2 skewers per plate with French bread or a Crusty roll and salad. French Fries are another favorite.
Serve 2 skewers per plate with French bread or a Crusty roll and salad.French Fries are another favorite